My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Adventure Home Day 16 (NYC)


So I stored my bags in the airport took the train into the city.  By the time I exited in Mahattan it was around 930, probably being the only person in NYC without a phone, I found internet at a hotel business center, where I did several things look up movie listings, look up locations of food and how to get between them.  My original plan was for a full blown meal, but looking at the movie schedule I determined it one or the other since I would have to catch the 10pm movie.  So I rushed down a few blocks to catch Lawless.  Sense the whole point of this over night in NYC without actually sleeping was to save money on the airfare, I realized I could do a trifecta.  3 movies in three nights in the 3 biggest movie cities in the world.  So post the movie then I decided that I would like to see the World Trade Center area, so I walked down to the area grabbing some pizza on the way.  Of course at 1 am it was closed so I just walked the area looking at the changes, the last time I was in NYC was fall of 2002 the holes were just the empty cleaned out pitts now those pitts are filled with waterfalls.  Wish the timing of visiting when it was open would have been an option.

So at around 230 as I was headed up to find the train back to the airport, I stopped a familiar site, people walking with garment bags eating pizza.  A whole group of them which to my trained eye = extras.  So I walked to where they were coming from and got some free pizza.  Then later I spotted a bar right next to the train stop so I had a few drinks then made my way back to the airport to check in.  All smooth no hassles.  I did notice a huge difference between London & NYC in London there was lots of friendliness and open PDA (public display of Affection) in NYC I saw 3 couples arguing and one lady jump out of cab cussing at the driver.  Plus, multiple prostitute proposals.  During my college years at Syracuse in 90’s I was down in the city a lot, so I am familiar with it but after exiting the train for the first I was star struck at the sizes of the buildings.  Only a few days removed from Africa NYC is really quite unique with just how tall the buildings are and how many of them there  are.

So as I type this on the plane, I am drifting off to sleep. Since I didn’t sleep a wink.

Time in airplane: 45min Swaziland to Joberg, 8 hours Joberg to Dubai, 7 Dubai to London, 2 hours London to Iceland, 5 Iceland to NYC, 6 hrs NYC to LA = 27 & 45min hrs

Time in Airport: 3 hours Swaziland, 4 ½ Joberg. 7 hours in Dubai, 6 hours in Heathrow, 2 hours in Iceland. 5 hrs in JFK = 27 hrs.

One airport left to go

No comments:

Post a Comment