My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Last Project Part 5 (The Bricklayers)

 Ok, so its been some serious busy last couple of days here before I leave & was unable to update.  So this one covers all the progress from Wed to Fri for hte bricklayers who did the most work.

So on Tues they started plastering the kitchen which continued til Friday. Here in Swaziland every home is made of cinder blocks, so every wall is then plastered to look smooth and nice.  This goes for both inside & outside.



 
 



Wednesday & Thursday & Friday
This basically took two days to do the inside & outside. 







 
Then next the bricklayers (the title for the people who do this type of work) was to finish the front porch of the center.







Also they had to finish another part of the septic tank system.


Plus also included in their work was finishing the roof, which was simple but more costly then I expected since the roof panels that were already at the center were not quite right so I had to by new ones.


And the final porch which does require some work on Monday of pulling away the blocks/wood & smoothing the edges but its minor work.
All done then takes 2 days to dry.  

 So that wraps up the the bricklayers part they worked 7 days total.

What started out as questionable turned out to be pleasant & they did a good job even finishing one before they said they would.

Plus, they learned a lesson on being late, they were not late once, earned their money & went home happy with a smile on their face.  I left them with a joke my mom always told me when I was "Kid" when she gave me money.  "Don't spend it all in one place."











No comments:

Post a Comment