My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Winning

Ok, the Charlie Sheen quoting really isn't cool but it sometimes it is appropriate.

Today was a holiday and at the bottle store that the Black Terrors always does pre-game warm ups it was a 3 on 3 soccer tournament.

So my counterpart Dennis put together a team of me and 2 other guys that I never even seen in the neighborhood. I am sure they live here but its a pretty big neighborhood and its not possible to know everyone but of course cause I am the coach and the only white person living in the neighborhood they know me, a very common occasion.

So the structure was 3 games the team with the most point advances to the semi finals. We won 2 games and lost the other finishing 2nd place in the round robin advancing to the semi. The team we lost to lost to another team and we won are semi final game in penalty kicks. During the round robin games I scored 1 goal that won the game and saved numerous others. In the semi final penalty kicks they chose me to shot first and I didn't miss (no goalies only a small goal) and the other 2 players on my team didn't miss either and we won.

The finals we won 1 to zero and the assistant coach of the Black Terrors was on that team.

Anyway, I played like a demon fighting for every ball, fouling when necessary and basically just being way more aggressive then the other players, it was friendly but competitive at the same time.

So we won the tournament and the winner got a case of beer. Since many of the players and all of the execs of the team were watching it was great to win. It has one of mental effects of Josh is a winner in soccer not matter what and I got lots of comments on my play. I basically play on the field way different than most Swazi which is aggressive, they don't play that way and it was hard to train them to be.

Anyway, I used it as platform to talk to the execs and players for next season, setting in place my what it takes for the team to keep Josh as the coach. Basically, I hope to revamp the execs and players approach to the team as a way of finishing off my service here and leave the Black Terrors with a team that can win in the future after I leave.

Which is one of the main goals of the PC.

What a fun day and a real spirit lifter after a disappointing end to the coaching season. Soccer like any sport that someone is passionate about gives and takes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I hope you didn't drink up all your winnings at one sitting. Glad you could talk with execs and players to say this is where we have to go.

    One more month until completion of your first year. :)

    ReplyDelete