My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Escaping to the movies

You know going to movies has always been a passion and hobby of mine (and the thing I have always done with my Dad) Then it became a career and then I retired from it.

Both pre-post movie career I have never stopped going to the movies (although from June to Dec there was no theater here in Swaziland to even go to) and now whenever I have free time off all I think about is how can I get to the movie theater.

It has truly always been my escape from life,work,anything or just for my personal entertainment.

And so here in Swaziland where everyday when I walk out my door I am in another culture all day long non stop, escaping to the movies has become even more necessary cause they tell us that the PC is a 24/7 job and it is except for those couple of hours inside the theater. Then I get to escape and its really all I need cause between getting my movie fix and coaching soccer they help relieve the stress of being over here. ( And by the way, my life here is WAY, WAY, WAY less stressful any other PCV's)

So I saw between last weekend and this weekend and the weekend before that a bunch of movies.

The Losers
300 (Both Not in a real theater but still projected on a screen from a laptop to an audience in my town)

In the real theater:
Little Fockers (which I worked on and my name missed the credits)
The American
(Neither were terribly good nor bad)

then
Easy A (AWESOME)
Burlesque (AWESOME)
and
The Next 3 days (Pretty damn good)

It costs me almost 70 Rand to travel and I usually stay over a night at the local backpackers so going to the movies is not just a get in the car and go kind of thing, I actually make plans to go to the movies.

Anyway, to all my friends out there slaving away keep it up cause you work is very welcomed out here in the wilds (not really wilds) of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment