My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Game#18 7-7-3 28 Points

Another on the field disaster sparked by off the field crap.

First we lost to the worst team in the league 3-1. The only real bright spot was the opening kick off. They passed the ball directly from the kick off down the field to the striker (a new added to the team in Jan) who shot the ball and we scored. Now that was the most excitement I had on the soccer field all of 2011.

So the other team proceeded to go on the attack tied it up at half time and then we came out of the break and they scored pretty much right away. 30 minutes later the goalie basically misjudged the ball and just let it bounce into the net, didn't even really try to save it. This is the same keeper that all of 2010 was busting ass in practice and it showed in the game. He was embarrassed and so was the team.

So now I am asking the executives to take charge of re-organizing the team. I leave it up to them. Cause the players come later, some just show up at game time, (I just tell them to sit on the bench and DO NOT put on UNIFORM, cause that is completely unexceptable and I will not play that player) with no boots, few hardly show up at practice and the ones who do aren't enough to carry the team and no surprise the ones coming to practice play the best. One player even took off the uniform before the game was over and I was actually going to put him in the game. Anyway, he goes to school  in Johannesburg and I was mad at him I told him to go back to Jo,Burg and all the players laughed.

Anyway, its drinking season here so that is part of the problem, another is that now that the SwaziBank Cup is finished their really isn't much to play for and apparently most of the players really don't care. The execs don't care either. Which makes it very hard to coach with no support.

Oh, and the 2 on field captains, one makes up excuses NOT to play and the other is pretty much drunk most weekend evenings so is useless on game day.

Even though is is basically the same players with like 5 new ones it is pretty much a completely different team and as coach I fail to see that soon enough to prevent the disaster that 2011 has become.

The 1st round is now over and we have at least a 2 week break, which I am hoping we can use for reorganization. But some how I feel like it isn't going to happen.

So basically I have 2 or 3 of the regular make every practice play great in the games players showing, so I am doing lots of individual training with them. And have now started coach the kids that are always around the field, and all of those balls the team got in Jan are being used by the neighborhood boys instead of the team.

Ah, coaching in Swaziland for a team I really love that the people who have lived with it their whole lives, invest money in and want to the team to win but don't actually support it. Is just a mix I don't understand.

Anyway, I will pretty much coach anyone and I do get to play regularly in small games and in big games with the Town Council Team, so I still get my soccer fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment