My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day #1 of the Bread and Vet story Part 1 (11-2)

So since Bread was a street dog, he needed to go to the vet. On Tuesday at 9:30, I showed up with Bread in a bag.

The bag is like a cloth purse and has Swazi coloring and he fits in it nicely.  Frankly, I am embarrassed to be posting this and was embarrassed to be walking with him in a bag. A dog in bag is common in America, but pretty much unheard of here in Swaziland. And just as stupid here as it is back there. In fact, dogs are rarely pets, most homesteads have several but they never, ever go in the house, usually are under fed, bug covered and dirty. Just how Bread showed up on my door. So I killed, picked off, drowned the fleas, ticks and other bugs. But his skin is flaky and he itches like crazy. In fact starting on Friday, I was more itchy than usual. Ok, so he needs dewormer, rabies shots and skin treatment.

The Vet a very pleasant and great guy, who treated another PCV’s puppy, so I knew he was a good guy, by the way a big Thank You goes out to whatever American organization funded his Vet School, in Zambia. He is Swazi and a very pleasant and caring vet. As the story goes along you will see why, I say such nice things.

So Bread pretty much slept the whole 20 min walk in the bag into town. I think he actually liked it.

Now other then the crazy itching and bad skin, he has been increasing more and more playful and put on weight. Learned how come when he is called by his name (although he doesn’t know a word of siSwati, so when the kids call him Singkawa (Bread in siSwati) he doesn’t understand), he understands how to stay, he goes to bathroom outside own his own once out of every 3 poops or pees.  He knows he is doing bad cause he understands the word no, bad and naughty and the deep mean voice.

Oh and on Sunday evening I started noticing red bumps around my ankles and on my arms.

So he gets his rabies shot and another shot of other vacancies I can’t remember what. And he is diagnosed with mange, a very, very common dog aliment over here, and when looking at his brothers & sisters they have it worse. So anyway the way to treat it is wash every part of his body with a mix of water and powder the vet gave me.

So at 11:00 AM I take him back home and wash him, now he is used to baths so it really isn’t a big deal. I leave him with his normal minimal day time food & water and in the bathroom all as usual.

And I head to the doctor myself cause now my body is pretty much covered in bumps and the PC doctor says it is probably a reaction from him. So I see the local Swazi doctor literally around the corner from work. And she gives me drugs and skin cream to help with the bumps and itching.

Oh a side effect the vet told me about is that the dog will seem drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment