My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

LA (Soon to be) Wall Art Part 2




And Now may I present to you my very first commissioned art piece.


"The Ward 4 Social Center" 
by 
Joseph Mushipi

(Click the picture to see the full version)



Left ot right -- Josh, Dennis, Sabelo, Titi, Khetsewi & on Jojo tank Joseph.



So inspired by Joseph's work, the need to commemorate my time here in Swaziland and what I consider one of the greatest achievements in my life. I wanted to have something to always remember the work I did here in Nhlangano and to remember the people who I did it with, in fact couldn't have done without them.  All 6 people in this painting where huge parts of the puzzle that I put together to get it done.  Lots of other people worked or did their parts but this crew made it happen.

Joesph did the piece post the Free Art Class but it was planned since March.  I pitched the idea to Joseph, who I knew could do it and get to me before I left Nhlangano since I wanted everyone to see it.  I paid extra for Joseph to get color photos of the artwork framed and each person pictured got one.  Dennis cried.  

One funny part of the picture is Sabelo, who came to the Center one day to help paint with that hat on, he normally doesn't wear hats like that but it was one pictures taken of him that Joseph picked out of the whole group of them that he got, Khatsewi's picture is from one where she is cleaning a bucket, of course Joseph spent 6 days onto of that Jojo tank (a water tank) painting the Center.  Titi's look is similar but Dennis' look is spot on.  And of course me with my long hair, which is growing back, shades and cargo shorts.  All my standard "working" gear.  

I can not tell you how happy I was to see this when he brought it down.  HELL YEAH.

And with that I am feel like I can walk away with great memories, many new friends and having accomplished something major in my life that at age 40 ranks as pretty much the best thing I have done in my life.  This Center and the other two not pictured will be here for a long time.  And I know I have helped a few people which is really all I came here to do.  Not saving the world, that is for others and other parts of the US government.  The Peace Corps and us Volunteers go out into the world to help them help themselves and teach them about America and when we return in turn teach America about the country we serve in.

Swaziland to me has been a home, it was always temporary, but a great home.  I will be glad to be back in LA and working in the US.

I have been saying that these 2 years have been very long and to me it has really felt like a very long vacation with some work mixed.

And now as I write this all of the artwork is packed and ready to shipped home to Los Angeles.  Lets hope it doesn't get lost in the mail.  (US Post Office don't go broke til they arrive.)  And so i have two more wake ups before my departure from Nhlangano.  

It's been great.







No comments:

Post a Comment