My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Adventure Home Day 10 (Leaving Swaziland)


I arrived with a group of 38 Americans on a rainy cloudly day, road a bus with the entire group all the way to the training facility looking out through fogged windows hardly being able to make out the new country I would be living in for what turned out to be exactly 2 years & 2 months.  We all come together but in the end we all leaving on our own.  The journey in between  was where we became new friends and worked together.  But the PC always and I mean ALWAYS had an end And today was that day for me. 
So I started typing this on the plane from Swaziland to Joberg but finished it on the way to London but in the same day.

On the way out today know totally knowing exactly where I was and where I was going but on the same highway as that bus ride, I took a taxi to the airport by myself with less baggage (both literally and also mentally) then I came with.  It was a beautiful bright clear and hot day . In most likely the exact same plane since Swaziland basically has the same plane that just flies back and forth to Joberg 8 times a day, I left.  Before I left I SMS (texting) good byes to the people left in country that meant the most to me during my service.  With names like Dennis, Liz, Sabelo, Sherlie, Titi, Brian, Jenn, Joseph, Mike & Gail  and the Movie Theater Manager Sanele. 

As I leave it leaves only 7 Group 8 PCV’s remaining official, there is one former Group 8 member who is living in Swaziland for the foreseeable future.  Who is not part of those 7.  My good friend Liz leaves in September and will the leave the 6 remaining for the next year Group 8ers.  It is now the responsibility of Group 9 to lead the Group 10 PCV’s and the constant rotation of Peace Corps just keeps continuing.
I know I made my mark both with people especially Dennis, Titi & Sabelo  & with the Social Centers I helped improve.  I feel as if throughout my entire service God was controlling the timing, I worked hard, I did the best I could but there were so many times when just amazing timing happen that was so out of my control that it just had to be God.  I am blessed and as I now type this on the tiny 50 person plane, I look down at a tiny country trying to figure out how to transition to the modern world and yet keep their heritage.  This I am sure is a world wide issue. And an even more important reason for the Peace Corps and us Americans to keep bringing with us our technology and knowledge and spreading it to parts of the world that need it.  If countries don’t actively try to keep up, even if they are hopelessly behind, the world will move on  and stop supporting these countries.

Swaziland is trying.  They have the struggle of being run by a absolute monarchy.  Until that is solved its will be interesting to follow the news of the country, if it can be found in America.

And now after landing in Joberg and hiring a tour guide to drive me around and to the Apartide  Museum, which is fantastic and is one of those places that proves that humans want to be able to make their own decisions.  It doesn’t matter the color or sex or sexual orientation. Freedom  & the rights of the people are what every group of people strives for.  One of these days Swazi’s will find their voice make the serious stand that Mandela lead against the white rulers.  I was so glad I made the trip to see the museum. I feel now like I have really seen a lot of South Africa from Cape Town to Durbin to Joburg to Kruger.  The only part I missed is the far north area where the Kalahari Desert is located.  People asked when I would return, I seriously doubt anytime soon but I would come back to see that desert.

So I am now typing this on the plane to London with a stop over in Dubai, a country I never been to and hope I can come back visit.  But the real designation is London.

A city I have only been in the airport.  So more stories to come.

Time in airplane: 45min Swaziland to Joberg, 8 Joberg to Dubai, 7 Dubai to London

Time in Airport: 3 hours Swaziland, 4 ½ Joberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment