My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP


Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.

As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Social Center Part 17 (Innovative Windows)

So its Saturday in the last couple of days windows have been appearing all over the center. Some small like these below (they are for the bathrooms).

Some middle size like these to the far right. (Front Windows)

Some a little larger. (Back ones)

Notice you can see the front through to the back and vice versa.

And then some completely different. (See below)

So when we were planning out what the Social Center needed originally the Kitchen (a separate building) was to be windowless since it made no sense to put in small windows and burglar bars but not have the ability to really open them. So Titi, the Site Manager, came up with the idea of windows that fold up. I liked it and we brought in a welder who figured out a design. Last Monday morning in Manzini, I ordered the steel which was delivered on Tuesday. On Wednesday the welder started working and 2 days later of very hard work, probably the hardest anyone has worked on this project, except for Senzo smashing holes in the wall for electrical, we have 2 fold up metal windows. But the problem then became how to get them to stay up. They are quite heavy so it was natural to stick something braced in there, but that could be knocked out and would probably decapitate one of the kids. So a better safer solution was needed. And even though these windows were not my idea, I problem solved it. Believe it or not problem solving is something Americans seem to do naturally & not always the case over here.

And the solution. Scroll to the open picture above. Put in eye hook in the wood beams above hang a chain that connects to a welded hook on the corner of the window. Do this twice (one on each corner) and the window is secure. And since chains have numerous links it is adjustable. It cost a little more than the normal windows but now the kitchen can be locked up and secured, they can serve food easily and the window can be a sun/rain shade. Overall, a great idea executed perfectly and fixed and hopefully it will work out all safe for all.

Plus, I got to climb up the ladder (seen on the left side of the right picture) hang off the roof head first upside down drill a hole and screw in the eye hook, Titi and the Welder were both afraid of heights & the ladder. Fun Stuff all the way around. By the way, Mazinga is working the weekend to finish his contracted job and today he worked almost 11 hrs. I was there the whole time making sure he didn't take off or something. That drama is over.

Next up is the doors and the final step to securing the building. Then painting. And Artwork. YEAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment