My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Social Center Part 10 (Big news & a Massage)

So its 11-11-11 and I suppose that has some significance to some people but to me it will be the day when I got word that the Town Council approved spending the money for the doors & windows.

So Friday evening many of the PCV's (PC Volunteers) were meeting up to a see a really great South African band called Freshlyground (they were the band that Shakura sang her Waki Waki World Cup song in 2010.) So as Friday at the Center was a slow day putting some small touches on the electrical, we called it day early and I took off to Ezulweni Valley, the tourist area and best part of Swaziland.

And after arriving at the Royal Swazi Spa, I booked my massage for 430 it was 130, so I ate a steak sandwich, swam in the pool and got a facebook message saying the NTC had approved the funding and next week we can start the final part of making the building complete. I was able to relax for the rest of the weekend. The massage was awesome, the group's music and performance was great and then on Sat several of us went over to another PCV's home and ate like crazy big pasta meal in the evening, breakfast on Sunday morning then for lunch Awesome steaks then a rain storm rolled in trapping several of us at her site since the combination of Sunday afternoon & big rain storm means no transportation.

I arrived Monday morning at the Center with the electricians waiting they are still putting final touches on numerous parts of the building. And its a new week.



Work in Progress




Work Completed




More work in progress



And 2 weeks ago we put a bunch of sticky adhesive on every nail, crack and hole in the roof, very hot & sticky work. I was able to get up on the roof again this time with a camera.


The connector from building to power line (its still waiting for power)


All those silver spots where put there by Senzo and I on a very hot day. That purple flower tree ( I don't know the name) is very common so the entire area is covered in purple trees.

1 comment:

  1. Now for "power to the people's" building !!!! Nice to see a plan come together.

    ReplyDelete