My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

SSCS part 9 (Lavumisa Charity)

So tons happening over here. See the list.

Sabelo's mother passed away her funeral is this weekend. And we keep spending time organizing SSCS stuff.

And the voting is going pretty well MTN has sorted out an early mistake.

The SRFA is slow on communication with the teams

And finally we are getting to reach to the teams. With basically only a week left.


But one aspect of the event that seems to be happening well is the Charity aspect. Several teams have reported in that they have completed their charity, one team fixed up a GoGo's hut (that is grandmother), another did a neighborhood clean up.

AMICAALL has organized several charity days for the teams to help with the Social Centers (every AMICAALL city has several they manage similar to the one I about to fix up (see the picture)).

So today, Swaziland surprised me. After a year of seeing Swazi's not doing a lot to actually try to improve themselves, although the constant protests are the start of this and are getting more and more violent. heck even the lawyers are on strike.

So we drove down to Lavuimsa which is basically a border crossing town and hardly more than that, so I wasn't expecting much to happen for the charity day.

But when we arrived their were like 40 players from various teams. We meet at the first Social Center and inside like 10 players were painting the inside of the Center a beautiful color of dark purple, its was almost finished. We then loaded another 10 players in our truck and went to another Social Center where we built a fence for a new garden. Cutting the posts, digging the holes and all in drizzling rain. And at the 3rd Social Center, I heard they were doing some massive clean up but I didn't visit it.

UNBELIEVABLE. This event has just helped fix up 3 Social Centers. It was the intention from the start but to see the improvements and the amount of players doing it in this small area. Just made me SMILE.

Today, I felt like I had really accomplished something over here. I know I have made a difference now & then with what I have done so far (especially Career Day) and I still have year and a whole Social Center left to go.

The amazing thing is that the event and the structure of the event took care of itself. I personally had nothing to do with any of the organizing of these events in Lavumisa, I just showed up. Yes, since organizing and funding the event from the Sabelo's creation, I can take credit for all of the good coming out of this event. It seems like I don't deserve to.

Anyway, today Swaziland surprised me.

2 comments:

  1. All good things ... thanks for this update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!!!!! Great to hear about these results. [Just got back from the 50th anniversary celebrations of Peace Corps in Washington D.C. - Chris Matthews - a Swaziland RPCV spoke.]

    ReplyDelete