My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

SSCS part 12 (Save the Day)

So I wake up early Wed Morning and get to work only to discover that the Football association has heard that the deadline has been extended again to Thurs. and they tell me the event has to be postponed. I am like oh Shit.

Crisis mode takes over, and I am damn good in a crisis. Years of set experience and a year over here. I take a couple of moments to think it through and then proceed to starting calling people in the National office and MTN to switch the deadline back to the first extension which is Wed at 5:00. So after literally running across town to have an emergency meeting the FA agrees if the deadline is Wed night, all is good and the event can proceed.

HOLY COW!!!!

We then proceed to do the charity work and 30 players show up to help clean up a Social Center and help plant a garden. I had wanted to do some painting that is badly needed and was willing to purchase the paint myself but it got nixed for BS reason and I was quite pissed. Anyway, some good work was done by the players and they got a meal and HIV conversation.

So then we then head to the 2pm football meeting. With everyone in attendance. It is discovered that the deadline was pushed by the National office based off a conversation 3 wks ago that every ones else agreed was just a conversation not a something that needed to happen. So the meeting last like 3 hrs. Lots of the event details are sorted out.

And here the one of the greatest phrases I have heard since being here. It comes from the FA chairman, who earlier in the day was talking of postponment. He said "This event isn't really about soccer it about the players learning about HIV and Male circumcision." I was all smiles at hearing this. PC assigned me to this NGO to work with them to promote HIV in cities. And we are reaching through this event by the end several thousand soccer fans and players.

Well, as I type this the voting is CLOSED, FINALLY. Tomorrow is a massive meeting for players, team managers the FA and anyone who wants to verify that their vote was counted. It will be a late night since it takes some time to calculate the votes.

EXCITING is not a big enough word for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment