My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Soccer Light Out (Game #27 but not complete)

So we are scheduled to play a very low ranked team in the league.

And after last weeks killing, I was expecting a low turn out for the game. We arrived at the game with 10 men, personally I think we play better under manned but it isn't smart soccer. One of hte players is sitting the stands intending to just watch the game. So he throws on a uniform and makes the sqaud full.

Since last week and for the last couple of weeks more an 2 players have been at a practice and since I am leaving for 3 weeks and missing 4 games. I feel the team is on a downhill slope gaining speed.

We score pretty early in the 1st half and you can just see the team relax and the other team begins to pressure us. This similar crap happened in the last game of thje first round against a very low ranked team.

Anyway, they score to equalize before half. I give a half inspired pep talk and let the coach who will be covering for me do the rest.

The team plays with little inspiration and allows another goal.

And then the chaos seems to start happening. One player on the other is hurt and they take sometime to recover and the day is very cloudy and the sun is starting to set, so the light level is low. And the drunk ex-keeper of the team comes down to sidelines and is standing next to me yelling at the captain of the team. I ask him about what and wants the referee to call the game cause of the light. but he is drunk and has had a series of problems with the referees before, since he isn't actually part of the team anymore and harmless but loud and drunk I try to kick him off the sidelines. He goes away comes back goes away comes back just like a yo yo, I bribe him with a free beer back in the neighborhood if he will shut up and sit down. By the way, the team can be fined for his actions.

The game keeps going but his actions are getting a lot of attention. And my keeper then acts like he is hurt and the on field chaos starts happening as the other team sees us delaying the game as the light is fading.

After a few minutes, the referee seems to call the game my team runs off the field and then called back. A referee conference and game starts again only to be stopped again. This time it seems like the game is over. I am told that the game is called off with 6 minutes left to play.

I guess it was a blessing since we were losing. But I really just wanted out of the mess this team has become. All based of lack of personal responsibility of the execs and players which just pisses off the coach and creates disharmony.

Maybe if I was a better coach I could figure out an answer to this problem, but its hard to solve the off field problems cause they are bigger than the game day stuff and it really effects the game play of the players.

The break to go back to the US is just another added item to the great list of amazing timing that is happening in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment