My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Speech

Spent the morning at an event where they were giving out food to the caregivers and the community police where there also for receiving certificates.

I was there as the "American" sat at the front of meeting and didn't do much and had no previous connection to the food supplies (this wasn’t through the AMICAALL office, completely separate, another PCV was there with me). This seems to be typical at events. I am just a representative that supports the event. And I am generally happy to be used this way. It actually seems to reassure the Swazi's that they are getting outside help, but really they are helping themselves, mostly.

And then at the end gave a small speech. I told the caregviers they are helping their country tremendously by taking care of the sick. Then I said to the community police that it is their responsibility to make sure the caregviers are safe. (which got a big applause) and then I said to everyone in the room that it is all of their responsibility to take care of all of the children. (It was translated, also)

By the way, I have found that sitting in meeting where they are taking minutes, I can completely follow the meeting since the person writing the minutes always writes in English. For this event a lady sat next to us to translate just to us.

But often times I sit through entire meetings with very little English, most of the time they switch to English when they want to involve me or it is information that I should know about. But many times they use English words in the middle of a sentence cause it is easier then some siSwati words, plus they all speak English anyway. I have gotten comfortable sitting through these meetings and very slowly, and I mean very slowly I can pick out a word hear and there that I understand. But most it is all literally lost in translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment