My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Game #4 1-3-0 6 points

WE WON. Our first win.

And in dramatic fashion.

So to set the stage.

This week the executive committee (which handles the actual organization of the team, ie transport) got their act together and began showing more support. They have authority and the players do listen. Even calling a team meeting, which basically the players that don't come to practice were at. But the executives are going to be on the case of the players to come to practice, and helping transport 3 players that can’t generally come without a ride home at night after practice. (This was all pre-game day stuff)

So as I thought out my game plan, I knew that I would have 2 of my young forwards and my one older forward all at the game, and it would be a mean attack to have all of them in the game at the same time. So I decided to switch the team from a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 field system (Look them up on Google, but the 2 represents 2 forwards & the 3 represents 3 forwards). Every game we have played 4-4-2.

So in pre-game talk I explained that at half time we would be switching to 4-3-3, and start the game as 4-4-2 and making several substitutions. Plus, it was the 1st time that I was starting a solid defense that I liked.

And the team we are playing is a rival undefeated team that hadn’t allowed a goal in 3 games. And I work with the keeper, Sabelo, at my job, and was working with him all morning before the game in the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund League. And one my players Titi is one of the coaches for the Mandela teams. (See the other Sat 30th blog entry, Referee Mandela).

The executives got us to the game early, the captains got the team properly warmed up and the referee blew the whistle to start the game.

By the way, 5 PCV’s showed up to watch the game, it was the first any had.

Game starts

Maybe 20 mins in they get a very good goal, no real mistakes on our part, just good play on their part.

10 mins later an obvious hand ball in box by our opponent in their own box isn’t called by the referee, which would have lead to a penalty kick, which is generally a goal for the offense. The fans, coach and the players all erupt. But it was a corner kick for us. So after everything settles down we kick the ball in and score, 1 of my young forwards scores.. 1-1 at half time.

So we switch formations, which is a risky thing to do, I had a defender need to come out due to injury, so I had to a do a little rearranging and had one player who didn’t want to go in, mostly offended cause he didn’t start. So on the spot I booted him off the sidelines. This event forced me to reshuffle a little more than I expected but the BTA (Black Terrors Attack) (which is the 3 forwards) was still in effect. So with a new defender and new forward and rearranged midfield all coming in at half and a new formation. The team was more aggressive.

And after about 20 mins of play we had a free kick from near the sideline. I saw my middle midfielder (Titi) and was a player I fought to get signed before the season. Standing off out of the box all by himself waiting to make a run into the box. I actually pointed it out BEFORE the kick to the sideline players, coach, executives and fans. And guess what. Titi made the run as the ball was played in, the goalie my friend from the Mandela event Sabelo made a mistake, and the Titi scored.   It was so exciting Black Terrors ahead 2-1.

So the game has about 25 mins left, I start screaming at the players to control the ball. And with like 10 mins left the other team is pressing hard and we commit a foul in the penalty box. So a penalty kick is given to them.

Now the goalie is a young guy, who in each of the three previous games had pretty much made mistakes in all of them, twice those mistakes had allowed goals. And before the game I told him that if he makes mistakes his starting job is in question, it was a direct challenge to him. As the field player is setting up the ball, the goalie walks up and to the ball and adjusts it (not something normally done) and the player kicks the ball. It flies to the goalies right up towards the crossbar half way between the middle of the goal and the side post. And he makes a flying drive to his right and MAKES THE SAVE. It was the most spectacular save I have ever seen a keeper make in person. It was just awesome. This kid, who is still in high school, when most of the other players are out the oldest is 35, works hard at practice, even doing extra. And his dive was just awesome it is so hard to explain. So of course everyone at the field (except the other team) erupts. It was really pretty unbelievable.

We won. WE WON. It was a come from behind, it was a coach strategy change and an amazing save for our first win. We are undefeated and if there were an doubts about the new American coach, they are gone. The BTA worked. And we get 3 points.

I cannot tell you how exciting it was it was a true party back in the neighborhood since all of the players are from their we drank and celebrated. And in the evening there was a car drifting event that I attended that was cool to see the Swazi version of this. In the US, I worked on a TV show that was all about drifting called Formula D.

This new section of my life just seems to keep getting better. And I have thanked God many times for all these blessings. And they are many.

By the way my Swazi name is Sibosiso (or translated Blessed).

And Bread (another blessing) is again sleeping on my foot as I type this.

2 comments:

  1. Hearty congratulations on your Victory!
    It was also great that you had other PCVs there watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fine report on an exciting win ... and I love the fact that Bread is sleeping on your foot as you type ... I love it, I love it, I love it.

    ReplyDelete