My big project, Finishing the Ward 4 AMICAALL/Nhlangano Town Council Social Center, the PCPP

ITS FINISHED

Peace Corps Partnership Proposal (PCPP) with the Nhlangano Town Council (NTC)


http://swazilandreflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-big-project-finishing-ward-4.html

First application draft submitted Feb, 2011
Approved & Funding Begins on PC website May 17th
IT WAS COMPLETELY FUNDED on Sept 8th.
Construction started on Oct 24th.
All exterior construction done by Dec 20th.
Grand Opening Jan 5th, 2012
Round 2 of the Funding arrives in early January.
Interior Only Construction Restarts Jan 16th.
Construction all done Feb 16th (minus a million tiny To Do's)
Project Officially Closed May 4th, 2012

Let the children play, learn & be safe.


As of Aug 25th, 2012, I am no longer a PCV, I am now RPCV (Return Peace Corps Volunteer). This blog is my experience in Swaziland between June of 2010 & Aug of 2012. Enjoy.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Nhlangano Day #5

Day 3 in the office.

A formal intro to the Town Clerk. He is very religious opens with a prayer and references God and Bible several times. The law of separation of church and state does not apply here at all, in fact it is very common to mix them even being a PK I am surprised by how much it is used in the daily business.

Find what I think could be a perfect two room apartment. Of course since it is in the city, power and running water and a toliet. (Remember my current homestead has none of those)

The Swaziland television industry discovered that I was in the the country. A local Swazi TV talent show was scouting the Town Council's meeting room for there talent contest. I could spot a tech scout the instant moment I saw them, looking at walls, windows, power plugs, I just started laughing, Dennis asked why and I said "I have done what they were doing hundreds of times" I give them my number, just when I think I have gotten away from the film business, it sneaks up on me. But having TV contacts is never a bad thing, espically since I am a Hollywood guy. I have to always correct people that I am from Los Angeles not Hollywood, but I did work there.

Go to play with the soccer team, it turns out they dont have a coach, So Dennis "hires" me to coach and be a player. I am very surprised and excited.

They start hitting me with questions and I just say lets play, we do a small field drill, there are only about 8 players with concrete blocks as the goals, I score a goal, and make several good passes and Bleeding on both feet from busted open blisters, I wore the wrong socks & my cleets just keep ripping me feet apart.

I think I impress them enough so when I come back I can have some respect as their coach. EVERY DAY is something new and exiting coming at me.

1 comment:

  1. It's like I'm reading a novel here Josh ... just amazing ...

    ReplyDelete